November 2 2005 - TMFHS CELEBRATES 10TH ANNIVERSARY
Press Release - November 2, 2005
TMFHS CELEBRATES 10TH ANNIVERSARY
For Immediate Release
November 2, 2005
For More Information:
TRINITY MOTHER FRANCES HEALTH SYSTEM CELEBRATES 10TH ANNIVERSARY
TYLER, TX – Officials and employees of Trinity Mother Frances Health System celebrated the System’s 10th anniversary today with the unveiling of a History Wall in a corridor adjacent to Mother Frances Hospital’s Wisenbaker Conference Center. The wall includes a timeline and photographs of important milestones for both Trinity Clinic and Mother Frances Hospital, which merged in 1995 to form one of the nation’s leading integrated health care providers.
In 1934, The Trinity Clinic began as The Bryant Clinic. It was founded by two general practitioners, Dr. William Howard Bryant and Dr. Sidney W. Bradford.
Mother Frances Hospital was opened only a short time later, in 1937. Both were challenged to meet a dramatic and desperate need in the early years. A major tragedy, the New London gas explosion, struck the neighboring community. The Bryant Clinic received the first call for help in Tyler. And the day before the formal dedication, Mother Frances Hospital opened early to care for the victims of the devastated town.
In 1948, The Bryant Clinic changed its name to The Medical & Surgical Clinic. With the addition of two other medical group practices, the name was changed to The Trinity Clinic. Trinity Clinic now has over 200 physicians and clinicians, with 33 medical specialties.
In the 1930s, a small group of dedicated women from the Catholic order of the Sisters of The Holy Family of Nazareth recognized the need for a hospital in Tyler. Mother Frances Hospital opened on March 19, 1937. Fifty-eight years later in 1995, Mother Frances Hospital merged with the area’s oldest physician group, Trinity Clinic, to create a comprehensive health system.
Trinity Mother Frances Health System is now comprised of two hospitals, Mother Frances Hospital in Tyler, which includes the Center for Advanced Surgery and Technology (CASAT), and Mother Frances Hospital-Jacksonville. The System has Trinity Clinics located throughout the region in Athens, Canton, Chandler, Corsicana (Medical Arts Clinic merged with Trinity Clinic in July), Hawkins/Holly Lake Ranch, Henderson, Jacksonville, Kilgore, Lake Palestine, Lindale, Mineola, Quitman, Tyler and Whitehouse.
A new multi-physician clinic will open this month on Highway 69 in Lindale, and construction is underway for a multi-physician Trinity Mother Frances-Lindale on Interstate 20 in Canton. Trinity Mother Frances-Canton is expected to be completed in 12 to 16 months.
Since merging, the System has received numerous national awards including designation as a “Top 100” health care system and “Best In The US” designations for cardiac services and stroke care. Mother Frances Hospital-Tyler has received continuous high marks in recent years for customer service.
For more information on services available through Trinity Mother Frances Health System, call TeleCare Plus, your free, 24-hour health information resource at 531-5678 or outside Tyler at 800-535-9799.
# # #
HISTORIC DATES IN THE HISTORY OF MOTHER FRANCES HOSPITAL
During World War II, the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth at Mother Frances Hospital provide care to the community, welcome home returning soldiers and plan for the future.
A new $500,000 four-story wing was dedicated, more than doubling the size of Mother Frances Hospital from 60 to 150 beds. $200,000 in new equipment is also installed.
Mother Frances Hospital is designated a regional polio treatment center. A special isolation ward was established, with iron lung therapy. Victims of infantile paralysis from a 100-mile radius were treated at the hospital’s special unit.
The only electro-encephalograph in east Texas is installed at Mother Frances Hospital. An advanced diagnostic aid, the new technology measures brain waves in response to stimuli.
The Ford Foundation awards Mother Frances hospital a grant to add a laboratory, diagnostic and treatment services, new delivery rooms and provides air conditioning for the first floor of the hospital.
Mother Frances Hospital receives JCAH full accreditation. A total of 55,580 patients have been admitted since the hospital’s opening in 1937. The hospital adds new departments and services including a pharmacy, psychiatry and improved diagnostic and treatment services.
1,376 children in Smith County receive their first Salk vaccine polio shots.
Mother Frances Hospital Auxiliary and the Mother Frances Hospital School of Vocational Nursing are founded.
Mother Frances Hospital launches the Junior Volunteer Program, called “Sweethearts and Beaux” for students 14 to 16 years old.
October 5-12, Tyler celebrates Mother Frances Week in honor of the dedication of a new 140,000 square-foot wing added on the north side of the hospital. The $4.5 million project includes renovation of existing facilities and increases the number of hospital beds to 240.
Mother Frances Hospital develops an ICU/Cardiac Care Unit to meet the needs of the growing region. The Cardiac Care Unit is one of the first of its type in the US.
Mother Frances Hospital installs nuclear X-ray equipment, becoming the first in the area to utilize nuclear medicine in the diagnostic field.
Telemetry is added to monitor heart patients at Mother Frances Hospital and ultrasound capability is added to the special procedures and X-ray areas.
Mother Frances Hospital expands obstetric facilities and education and allows husbands in delivery rooms for the first time.
Arthroscopic knee surgery was first offered at Mother Frances Hospital, using a new $30,000 camera and equipment to assist orthopedic surgeons.
Mother Frances Hospital is granted approval by the Texas Health Facilities Commission to provide open-heart surgery.
First catheterization is performed in the new Cardiac Cath Lab. The first open-heart surgery in Tyler is performed at Mother Frances Hospital by Mario Kapesta, MD, on a 63-year-old patient who undergoes quadruple bypass surgery.
Mother Frances Hospital Maternal Child Service Center opens, adding a 20,000 square-foot Alternative Birthing Center with a homelike environment for low-risk patients; newborn nursery; and new labor and delivery rooms for normal and high-risk obstetrics.
Dedication of a new 175,000 square-foot patient tower brings Mother Frances Hospital’s capacity to 358 beds. Renovations and additions include an 8,000 square-foot expansion to the emergency center and new Regional Cardiovascular and new Regional Cardiovascular Center.
One hundred open-heart surgeries are performed at Mother Frances Hospital in the first six months the procedure is available.
Mother Frances Hospital Foundation is organized to create an opportunity to share its programs, services and activities with the community.
Flight For Life emergency air transport services begin, bringing emergency helicopter service to parts of the region.
MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) advanced diagnostic equipment is added at Mother Frances Hospital.
Tyler Square Day Surgery Unit opens. The 13,000 square-foot facility is the only one of its kind in the area and one of only 300 similar facilities in the US.
Mother Frances Hospital is named one of the Children’s Miracle Network hospitals and participates in its first CMN telethon.
Mother Frances Hospital opens its first regional medical clinic in Canton.
Mother Frances Hospital is named 1989 Business of the Year by the Texas Association of Businesses.
Mother Frances Hospital is recognized by The Wall Street Journal as one of the Top Ten Hospitals in the country, with the lowest mortality rate for open-heart surgery – less than one percent.
The Heart Institute at Mother Frances Hospital opens a new outpatient cardiac cath lab facility.
Groundbreaking takes place for the new physician’s clinic site on East Douglas Street. The $6.3 million facility is now known as Trinity Clinic.
The Children’s Center, a new 21-bed pediatric unit, opens on the third floor of Mother Frances Hospital.
The Royce E. Wisenbaker Conference Center and Wisenbaker Diabetes Center are dedicated.
Mother Frances Hospital creates the FamilyCARE Center to meet the needs of medically underserved women and children in Tyler and Smith County, providing obstetric, gynecological and pediatric services to patients. The Center is recognized in 1997 by the Texas Hospital Association with the Excellence in Community Service award for its dramatic impact on obstetrical care in Smith County.
The historic merger of Trinity Clinic with Mother Frances Hospital creates Trinity Mother Frances Health System, uniting the region’s largest group of primary care physicians with the area’s leading hospital. The new integrated health care system, only the third of its kind in Texas, has led to expanded service and value to patients throughout the region, more access to services and to a greater focus on wellness and prevention.
The Ross Breast Center of Trinity Mother Frances Health System opens, providing the first and only comprehensive breast cancer facility in the region.
Trinity Mother Frances Health System, Good Shepherd Medical Center and Memorial Health System of East Texas partner to form Champion EMS, which provides emergency transport services to an expanded area in east Texas.
Mother Frances Hospital is named one of the “Best in the US” for cardiac care.
Trinity Mother Frances Health System is named a “Top 100 Health System” in the US.
Mother Frances Hospital is named a “Top 100 Hospital for Stroke Management,” one of only seven hospitals in Texas and the only one in east Texas to receive the honor.
Mother Frances Medical Clinic in Athens, a new $1.8 million, 14,725 square-foot facility, opens to better serve Athens and Henderson County.
Trinity Mother Frances Health System combines sports and orthopedic services under one roof. HealthPark Plaza, located at 1327 Troup Highway in Tyler, offers a convenient location for patients and a streamlined design and houses Trinity Clinic Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Services, Outpatient Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Health at Work.
Mother Frances Hospital opens the Ornelas Tower on the north side of the Tyler hospital campus. The $75 million facility includes the Center for Advanced Surgery and Technology (CASAT), the Trinity Mother Frances Heart Institute, 152 new private patient rooms and 16 new surgical suites with the latest technology for cardiac care.
Trinity Mother Frances Health System breaks ground on a multi-physician medical complex north of Interstate 20 on Highway 69 in Lindale.
Medical Arts Clinic of Corsicana, a 31-physician clinic that has served the needs of patients in Navarro County for over 50 years, elects to merge with Trinity Clinic.
TMFHS breaks ground on a multi-physician clinic, located on I-20 in Canton.