Cardiac Diagnostic Testing - Non-Invasive
Diagnostic testing is an important first step in your care at the Louis & Peaches Owen Heart Hospital. Much of our cardiovascular testing is non-invasive. This approach often provides as much information as other more invasive methods. Our staff of dedicated health care professionals will work with you to determine the diagnostic tool appropriate for your unique situation. After the tests are completed, a physician will discuss the results, options and next steps with you. Never hesitate to share questions or concerns. When it comes to your health, you are the most important member of our medical team.
Our non-invasive cardiovascular testing includes:
• Angiography – Angiography is a procedure used to visualize and diagnose coronary artery disease. The physician injects a special dye (contrast dye) into the coronary arteries. Then, a series of X-rays are taken which show the location and extent of coronary artery narrowing and/or obstruction. The procedure is usually performed via an artery in the groin.
• Echocardiography – creates images of heart and blood vessel structure and function using high-frequency sound
• Electrocardiography - records the electrical activity of the heart
• Holter Monitoring - a continuous recording of your heart rhythm, usually for 24 hours, while you go about your usual daily activities, especially useful is diagnosing abnormal heart rhythms
• Positron emission tomography (PET) – non-invasive imaging that can reveal the health of the vessels supplying blood to the heart and surrounding tissue
• Stress testing - measures how the heart works during stress or exercise
o Exercise stress test - usually involves walking on a treadmill or pedaling a stationary bike at increasing levels of difficulty, while your electrocardiogram, heart rate, and blood pressure are monitored
o Stress echocardiography – combines stress testing with echocardiography for additional information on cardiac structure and function
o Nuclear stress test - measures blood flow to your heart muscle both at rest and during stress on the heart and is performed in a similar fashion to a routine exercise stress test, but provides images that can show areas of low blood flow through the heart and areas of damaged heart muscle
Louis & Peaches Owen Heart Hospital Performs First S-ICD Implant in East Texas
Get our iPhone app from the iTunes Store
Get our app from the Android Market